Acts 2: 42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread, and to the prayers.
43 Then fear came over everyone, and many wonders and signs were being performed through the apostles. 44 Now all the believers were together and held all things in common. 45 They sold their possessions and property and distributed the proceeds to all, as anyone had a need. 46 Every day they devoted themselves to meeting together in the temple complex, and broke bread from house to house. They ate their food with a joyful and humble attitude, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And every day the Lord added to them those who were being saved.
Acts 4: 32 Now the large group of those who believed were of one heart and mind, and no one said that any of his possessions was his own, but instead they held everything in common. 33 And the apostles were giving testimony with great power to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was on all of them. 34 For there was not a needy person among them, because all those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, 35 and laid them at the apostles’ feet. This was then distributed for each person’s basic needs.
It was from these passages that Karl Marx received the inspiration for his communist Manifesto. It is a noble sounding idea but there are several things to note here:
- That which works for Christians, empowered by the Spirit of God, is doomed for failure if attempted by godless pagans, outside of the Kingdom of God.
- This sharing was their idea. It was not commanded by God.
- Nowhere, in Scripture, are we commanded to follow their example.
- It did not work in Jerusalem.
The next time we hear of Jerusalem, there is a famine and the Christians there are starving. Paul spends much of his ministry and many words, in his Epistles, collecting money for the poor in Jerusalem. He spends a considerable part of both First and Second Corinthians and a part of the book of Romans, on fund raising to rescue the poor and starving Christians in the Holy City. It is notable that that which started out as a noble idea, resulted in starvation, even among the Saints of God.
1 Corinthians 16: 2 On the first day of the week, each of you is to set something aside and save in keeping with how he prospers, so that no collections will need to be made when I come. 3 When I arrive, I will send with letters those you recommend to carry your gracious gift to Jerusalem.
Communism has a remarkable record. It has led every single nation where it has taken root, into massive and un-survivable poverty. It has never succeeded, not even once, in any nation on earth. In spite of that, University professors, in Universities around the world, remain enamored with the idea and politicians have discovered that, there being more poor than rich in the world, the promise of stealing from the rich and giving to the poor, will get them elected repeatedly, even after a lifetime of failing to carry through with their promises.
Look at the people who now hate communism in Venezuela… Following free elections in which they have repeatedly and overwhelmingly voted for the Commie who promised them free everything all the time, forever!
Chavez and Obama were best buddies. They both shared Fidel Castro as their number one hero. Maduro is the handpicked follower of Chavez, carrying on the policies instituted by Chavez.
- I was in Venezuela the night the clouds cried, whole barrios slid down the mountainside in Caracas and the people elected Chavez the first time.
- I was in Venezuela when Chavez lead his first coup against the government.
- I remember when he bombed Caracas and the presidential palace. That was the night that bullets kept landing on the tin roof of my little house.
- I remember when Chavez walked into the TV Station and murdered the News Anchor, in cold blood, on national television.
- I remember how he fled to the then communist country of Peru, for asylum.
- I remember when the next President pardoned him.
- I remember how the great killer ran for president on the promise of taking all the money from working people and giving it to the unemployable.
- I remember how shocked I was the day he won…
- What does not shock me is how it has turned out.
Satan is famous for producing noble sounding ideals that never work. Even Right-Wing, American ideals have been sold as “Christian Ideals,” when, in fact, they were demonic ideals. Be very careful of the noble idea, sold by the slick politician…